News Time skip proposal under discussion

Discussion in 'Widebeam Messages' started by Raziel, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Raziel

In staff right now I've proposed a time skip to the board story. It's currently under discussion and I want to give a few reasons why to you, the members, and get some feedback.

This is the pitch:

Five years have past and the bounds of human exploration have expanded beyond imagination. The open ring gates provide access to countless worlds.

The Earth-Mars coalition holds strong. After the distruction of Tycho Station and events of Io the Belters remain fragmented. Morné Du Plessis and many OPA leaders vanished to Martian gulags. The Nauvoo spins in orbit around Mars, waiting to take a colony of Mormons and martians through the ring to a new home.

Tensions rise as independent groups and belters search for their freedom in frontier territories. Sensing their control waning the UN and MCR try and tighten control around the gates.

Why is this being proposed?
    • We've been too reliant on following book story points. It's time for a fresh start
    • Player freedom. It's time to let writers explore new worlds and drive the story forwards
    • New story opportunities. The way the story has played out here so far leads to new potential as Belters and other groups seek their freedom from the Coalition on distant worlds
    So give us your thoughts and ideas, because this could be coming soon!

Castilene Kramer and Her Manus like this.
  2. Her Manus

Her Manus Central VI of the Purgatory Nightclub

Discord:
    Her Manus#7927
    Its definitely to be discussed
    I think it would destroy some of our current roleplay and roleplay plans through a skip, but i agree that it would detach us from the books story, which is a good thing.

I would also say that it provides a great chance considering our current situation with a potential of countless new members. We could announce the time skip in other servers and potentially attract more people and get those that already joined.

Personally i think we should do it even tho it may throw a lot of stuff over i would love the breath of fresh air.

3. Her Manus

Her Manus Central VI of the Purgatory Nightclub

Discord:
    Her Manus#7927
    It would also provide an awesome opportunity to get out of our established paths and plans since i feel like that has been set in granite for far too long.

4. Anicarn

Character Biography:
    Bio
    The idea is very interesting and deserves to be discussed. Well my main problem is that if we are at a time when the doors are already open it means that we are missing the time of their opening, which (as manuscript says above) destroys some established plan (which is not necessarily bad). But the 5-year jump is excellent since it allows a breath of fresh air that will allow us to better develop certain things that remained stagnant (I think of Zay's plans in particular).

One of the ideas I have in mind right now is that yes, we are leaping 5 years, but at the same time a kind of threat flashback of the series of events that led to the opening of the door. Each threat post could be separated by several days or months, they would aim to show in general the events that led to the current situation. For example, a post from William Meyer's point of view showing him reading reports from his exploration fleet looking for Eros and he discovers strange activities. Another from an OPA activity that discovers on the news that a strange unidentified object has just become a ring. Another from the point of view (I don't know, let's say Steven Wright) that goes towards the ring or hits it with other ships or another with Zay that quickly links reports from the Martian probes sent analyzed the new worlds. Well, I don't know if you have the idea, but anyway.

5. Cpt_Buttersworth

Cpt_Buttersworth Moderating the shipping lanes

Character Biography:
    Bio
    I think it's a worthy plan. Best give a clear date and time and perhaps a grace period, so people with ongoing RP's can be resolved before the jump.

6. b o o t

Some questions:

1. Are there any more pitches for outcomes?
    2. Will there be old ruins on the new worlds?
    3. Will there be any new creatures (non-sentient) on the new worlds?

7. Raziel

1. No
    2. Yes (but no working PM tech without admin approval as always)
    3. Yes