Discussion The Expanse - Foodie Recipe Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Solaris, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Solaris

Solaris McClane

Character Biography:
    Bio

"I am thinking to myself, 'how often do we all just hang out together and just talk, you know without work'... no, no... hey listen, listen! So I am thinking self, 'Self, we outta just do that.' So, vee-whalla!"

[​IMG]

"So that, my hungry friends, is a Kamal family recipe. It is a staple in the Mariner Valley, now granted we had to improvise a bit without any real cheese, or wheat, or tomatoes or anything..." ~ Alex Kamal, The Expanse

After having a little chat on our Discord, we thought it would be a fantastic idea to have a little Expanse Fan Recipe sharing blog. We can use this thread to share our favorite recipes, maybe pick one every week or so to cook them together and then give some feedback.

I'll be keeping track of the recipes on this blog by providing a link to the post. Please post your recipe in a single post and headline it however you want it. Tell us the story of how it got into your hands! Or keep it simple and just post the recipe. We'll try them out and have a blast!

Recipe Template

Code:
    Recipe Name: Gotta give it a name!

How easy is it to make:  Easy, Moderate, Advanced
    Time to Prep: How long to prep?
    Time to Cook: How long to cook?
    Ready in: How long does it take to get ready

Ingredients:
    Give us your list of ingredients

Directions
    What are the directions? Break it down as easy to follow as you can.

2. Cpt_Buttersworth

Cpt_Buttersworth Moderating the shipping lanes

Character Biography:
    Bio
    So this isn't actually my recipe, it was given to me by @Ally Locke. But it's just too good not to share.

Michelada (Mexican Spicy Beer)

Rim cup with Tajin Seasoning
    60ml Lime Juice
    2 tsp Tapatio (hot sauce)
    1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
    Stir vigorously
    Fill glass with ice cubes
    Top up with beer
    Mix all together

Enjoy on a hot day!

3. Solaris

Solaris McClane

Character Biography:
    Bio
    I can confirm that this Michelada recipe is AMAZING!

I’ll toss up my favorite pasta recipe tonight

Lukas Forgrave and Tetrarch like this.
  4. Gully Foyle

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Recipe Name: Rusty's Redneck/Asian Fusion Beef Stew

How easy is it to make: Moderate
    Time to Prep: You'll probably spend a half hour handling ingredients. Mostly it's just waiting.
    Time to Cook: 5-6 hours
    Ready in: Total time around six hours.

PHASE 1
    Ingredients:
    • 1kg (2.2 or so pounds) of beef. Should be well marbled and fatty.
    • 1 decent sized onion, chopped into smallish chunks
    • Garlic to taste
    • 1 teaspoon minced ginger
    • Fresh rosemary, basil, and sage to taste
    • Soy sauce to taste
    • Pepper to taste
    • Dash of Vietnamese fish sauce
    • Sesame oil
    • 1 teaspoon honey
    • 24 ounce (or local equivalent) can of beer. Simple beers like Budweiser work best.
    Combine the onions, garlic, ginger, and spices at the bottom of your pot. Lubricate with the sesame oil. The sesame oil adds a nice depth of flavor to the dish. Sauté until the onion chunks are tender. Once they're tender, add in your soy sauce and just a dash of the fish sauce and reduce heat. A little bit of fish sauce goes a long way, so be sparing. Otherwise, it'll stink up your kitchen.

While that's going on, chop your beef into hearty chunks. I like to try to make cubes about an inch and a half to a side. That might seem big, but they'll shrink with cooking. Ideally, you should get a large slab of something well marbled with plenty of fat. The fat adds flavor, and as you cook it, it basically melts into the meat.

Once your onions are soft, add in your meat. Stir well, and make sure you've got your ingredients thoroughly mixed in the pot. Once that's accomplished, pour your beer over top. Increase the heat until you've got a decent boil going on, then add your honey. The honey will help tenderize the meat through science or black magic or some shit. I don't know how it works, just that it does. Once the honey is added in, reduce to a simmer and cover.

Cook for 3-5 hours, or until the meat is tender enough that it starts to fall apart as you stir. Check both the broth and the meat regularly and adjust your seasoning mix as necessary to get your desired flavor profile. Remember that when you add your veggies, it'll dilute things, so you want it to be fairly intense.

Once the meat is basically jello, it's time to move to the next phase.

PHASE 2
    Ingredients:
    • 4-8 good sized potatoes, depending on how hearty you want it to be and how Irish you are.
    • 2-3 peeled and washed carrots. If you're using baby carrots or presliced, one to two good handfuls (that's a Rusty handful, not an Illie handful) should do the trick. Or not. Depends on how much you like carrots, I guess.
    • Water enough to cover the potatoes
    • 2 tablespoons of miso
    • More soy sauce
    Cut your potatoes into hearty chunks. Make sure to rinse thoroughly before adding them to the pot. Chop your carrots into appropriate sized chunks as well.

By now, your meat chunks should be simmering in a thick broth-like thing at the bottom of your pot. The beer should have mostly reduced down, so what you've got left is concentrated flavor. Throw in your potatoes and carrots, and add enough water to cover the lot. Turn heat up to medium and let it come to a boil.

At this point, you'll want to stir in your miso, taking care to make sure it dissolves. Once that's done, sample your broth and adjust the seasoning. The water will dilute the flavor, and the potatoes soak up saltiness, so you'll definitely want to add more soy sauce or other spices as necessary to get the flavor right.

Allow it to go on a low boil until the potatoes and carrots are soft. Should take 30-45 minutes.

PHASE 3
    Ingredients:
    • Corn Starch
    • Assorted veggies (whatever your preference is, I like green beans and corn)
    • 1/2 decently sized eggplant
    • Seasonings to taste
    So now you're nearly ready, you've just got to add in the last few bits. First thing's first: corn starch. This thickens up the broth and gives it a nice stewy consistency, and also helps soak up some of the rendered fat that'll collect on top from the beef. I use two heaping teaspoons, but you do you. Distribute the starch evenly over top of the stew, and then stir it up. You'll notice there are still little chunks of it, that's fine. Leave it alone to boil for a few minutes and that should go away.

Once you're relatively chunkless, add in your veggies and sample the broth and the potatoes. That'll give you an idea of where you're at flavor-wise, and will allow you to adjust fire as necessary. Let the veggies cook as necessary. If you're using canned stuff, you're really only waiting for it to heat up.

While the veggies are getting up to temp, take a decently sized eggplant, chop that sucker in half, and cut the half you're gonna use into chunks. I like my chunks on the small side, but that's me. Once you've chunked it and the veggies are warm, sprinkle the eggplant on top of the stew. Don't stir it in, just let it sit on top and watch as it soaks up the fatty goodness.

Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Keep a close eye on the eggplants, because they'll turn to mush if you overcook them. Once they're soft enough to be considered done, your stew is ready.

5. Cpt_Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Thai Almond Chicken Salad
    Great for a fresh summer dinner or lunch meal

Ingredients for 4 large servings:
    • 1.5 lb raw chicken breasts
    • Salad
      • Half a head of red cabbage (raw)
      • 1 head of broccoli (raw)
      • 4 carrots (raw)
      • 2 clusters baby bok choy
      • 1/3 cup chopped mint
    • Almond Sauce
      • 5 tablespoons raw almond butter (no salt added, best to purchase the kind with oil in it)
      • 3 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos (or coconut aminos or low sodium soy sauce)
      • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
      • juice from 1/2 lime (or whole lime if an extra tangy flavor is desired)
      • 1 tablespoon raw organic honey
      • pinches of red pepper flakes (as needed or desired for heat)
      • tablespoons of water if needed to make the sauce thinner
    • Garnish
      • shaved almonds
      • cilantro/coriander
      • red chile pepper
    STEPS
    1. With a large knife, thinly slice up the cabbage, broccoli & carrot into small chunks, combine in a large pot.
    2. Spray a nonstick skillet with coconut oil and set on medium heat. Dice the chicken breasts and then throw in skillet without seasoning since the flavour will come from the salad and the almond dressing. Once the chicken breasts are completely cooked, set aside.
    3. Combine all the ingredients for the almond sauce together in a bowl and whisk together. Add a few tablespoons of water, if needed in order to make the sauce thinner.
    4. Chop up bok choy and mint
    5. Place a serving of the cabbage, broccoli & carrot in each bowl, top with chicken then add the almond sauce.
    6. Garnish with cilantro, shaved almonds and sliced red chile peppers.
    7. Enjoy!

Niamh O'Rourke, Solaris and Tetrarch like this.
  6. Neamheaglach

Discord:
    Demoncrat
    Chicken Breast Milanese (Squashed Chicken)

6 Chicken Breasts (or desired amount of chicken tenders)– skinned & boned

Salt, Pepper, Flour

2 eggs, well beaten

1 cup finely crushed bread or cracker crumbs

2 Tablespoons Salad oil

3 Tablespoons Margarine

Flatten Chicken, sprinkle with salt & pepper (optional), dust with flour. Dip in egg, roll in bread crumbs. Heat oil & margarine in fry pan. Cook chicken until crisp & golden, 5-7 minutes on each side. Drain, as needed.

**For smaller portions, you can use 1 egg (thin with a little milk to stretch it out).

7. Neamheaglach

Discord:
    Demoncrat
    Spaghetti

1 pound sausage (or about)

2 cloves garlic of 1-2 tsp of garlic powder

1 15 oz can tomato sauce

1 15 oz can stewed tomatoes (smashed up or you can buy “pureed”)

1 6 oz can tomato paste

1 tsp ground oregano

1 tsp Italian Seasoning

salt to taste

Boil water and cook spaghetti while preparing sauce. It takes about 20 minutes.

Brown sausage in fry pan over medium heat. Crush garlic and add to sausage for a few minutes. Drain off any grease. Add tomato products and seasonings. Bring to slight boil and it’s ready to go.

8. Neamheaglach

Discord:
    Demoncrat
    Fudge (microwave)

1 Pound Confectioner’s sugar (powdered)

½ cup cocoa

¼ cup milk

¼ pound butter or margarine

1 teaspoon vanilla

½ cup chopped nuts

1. Lightly grease an 8-inch square dish. Set aside.

2. Place confectioners’ sugar and coca in a medium-sized, heat-resistant, non-metallic mixing bowl. Stir to combine.

3. Add mild and butter to sugar-coca mixture. DO NOT STIR.

4. Heat, uncovered, on FULL POWER 2 minutes.

5. After cooking, stir just to combine ingredients.

6. Add vanilla and nuts. Stir until blended.

7. Pour into prepared dish and refrigerate for 1 hour before cutting and serving.

9. Neamheaglach

Discord:
    Demoncrat
    Fudgie Brownies

¾ cup Unsweetened cocoa

½ tsp Baking soda

2 cups sugar

1 1/3 cup flour

½ tsp salt

2/3 c vegetable oil

½ cup boiling water

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix with spoon thoroughly (don’t use electric mixer)

Cook in clear glass pan (9X13 inch best), greased with butter on all sides. (metal pan OK. PAM can also be used to grease sides)

Cook at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

Solaris likes this.
  10. Neamheaglach

Discord:
    Demoncrat
    Caramel Nut Ring (Thing with the Nut)

1/3 cup brown sugar

3 tblsp margarine

1 tblsp water

¾ - 1 cup chopped walnuts

1 tube refrigerator biscuits

Place brown sugar, margarine and water in shallow bowl (microwave safe) and heat 1 minute on full power. Mix margarine and brown sugar to combine. Add nuts and mix. Cut biscuits into quarters and place evenly in bowl. Mix slightly to distribute brown sugar/nut mixture. Cook in microwave on full power 2 min 10 sec to 3 minutes, depending on microwave watts. My microwave is 1000 watts and it cooks in about 2 min 10-15 sec.

Niamh O'Rourke and Solaris like this.
  11. Solaris

Solaris McClane

Character Biography:
    Bio
    I love simple foods. @Alric showed me this one and it is by far a massive hit in my house. It is simple and very easy to make!

Recipe Name: Cajun Skillet Pasta

How easy is it to make: Easy
    Time to Prep: 5 minutes to slice your favorite sausage.
    Time to Cook: 20 minutes
    Ready in: Total 25 minutes or less.

Ingredients:
    • 14 oz of your favorite sausage ( A spicy andouille sausage works best but you can use regular turkey sausage)
    • 2 cups of heavy cream
    • 1 cup of parmesan cheese
    • 1 tbsp of Cajun seasoning
    • 8oz of cooked pasta (your favorite)

Directions

1. Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
    2. Saute sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, turning occasionally.
    3. Add cream and Cajun seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat
    4. Simmer gently until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat, stir in Parmesan cheese.
    5. Add pasta to sauce and toss.
    6. Enjoy!

Click the link to see the gif version of the recipe!

https://i.imgur.com/Aw5guFe.mp4

Niamh O'Rourke likes this.
  12. Cpt_Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Solaris likes this.
  13. Solaris

Solaris McClane

Character Biography:
    Bio
    haha I'll get my recipe down this week for chili!

14. Delila Castillon

Someone still hasn't shared her recipe for tamales. Tsk.

Solaris likes this.
  15. Gully Foyle

Character Biography:
    Bio
    One of these days I'll get around to making it again, and when I do, I'll post the recipe.

Solaris likes this.
  16. Adam Jensen

Adam Jensen Can solve any problem when given enough duct tape

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Now, to bridge the time until we get recipes for either chilli or tamales, i thought i might share an easy dish, perfect for a quick meal, that i developed through trial and error over the last years while studying. Admittedly, i think this has "lazy student" written all over it. This is enough for four people, or to sustain a student over 2-3 days.

Recipe Name: Curry tonno noodles

Time to Prep: None, or distance travelled to your nearest McDonalds (see ingredients)
    Time to Cook: 25 minutes, 15 if you heat the water with an actual water heater rather than in the pot.
    Ready in: Total 25 minutes or less.

Ingredients:
    Only one of the options should be chosen! Combining them may yield unwanted results!

Directions

1. Cook the noodles, with only a pinch of salt.
    2. Drain the water out of the tuna can. The meat should be dry before adding it to the noodles.
    3. Drain the noodles thoroughly.
    4. Mix the about 2/3 of the tuna with the noodles, one tea spoon of tuna at a time. Make sure it is more or less evenly distributed. The bulk of the tuna must be added before the pesto, otherwise you will get concentrated clumps of pesto-tuna.
    5. Add the pesto, one teaspoon at a time. Make sure it is evenly distributed.
    5.1 If you chose to use curry powder, add one pinch of it onto the pesto you have on a spoon before adding it to the noodles. If you chose the McDonalds sauce, ignore step 5.1.
    6. Add the remaining tuna and distribute it evenly.
    6.1 If you chose the McDonalds sauce, you can add it now, or leave it as a side to dip individual fusilli in. If you chose curry powder, ignore step 6.1.
    7. Enjoy the taste of a german students staple food.

Niamh O'Rourke, Solaris and Hex Ahmed like this.
  17. Gully Foyle

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Recipe Name: Rusty's Mapo Tofu

Time to Prep: 5 minutes
    Time to Cook: 20-40 minutes
    Ready in: If you spend more than 45 minutes, you're doing it wrong.

Mapo tofu is a Chinese dish that's easy and quick to make, and doesn't require a whole lot of fuss. It's a pretty versatile dish. There are about a million different varieties, and the same recipe can vary wildly in appearance depending on where you get your ingredients. I highly recommend you carefully taste test at every stage of the proceedings to make sure it turns out the way you like.

Ingredients:
    1 pound ground pork
    1 pound tofu, cut into cubes 1-2 centimeters to a side. Firm tofu works best.
    1 onion, chopped finely
    Olive oil/Sesame oil
    1 cup Rice wine
    Black bean paste
    Ginger to taste
    Garlic to taste
    Soy sauce to taste
    Sriracha to taste
    1 cup rice
    Preferred veggies

Directions:
    In a fairly large pot or saucepan, brown your chopped onion in either olive or sesame oil, whichever you prefer. Add in your garlic and your ginger as the onion starts to brown. Once it's cooked down a bit, add in your rice wine, some soy sauce, and ground pork. At this point, you're basically just waiting for the pork to cook all the way through. I recommend a medium heat, and also that you use a nonstick pan, because ground pork can be kinda finicky. It doesn't have the same fat content as beef, so it'll dry out and stick if you're not careful.

While the pork is cooking, chop up your block of tofu. This is also a good time to start your rice cooking. If you've got a rice cooker, chances are you know how to use it, so I'm not going to insult your intelligence. If you don't have a rice cooker, I recommend getting the boil in bag stuff, because it's a right pain in the arse to make on the stovetop. Follow the directions on the box and you'll be fine.

OPTIONAL STEP: Some people don't like the texture of tofu. If that's the case, you can change it by pan frying it until the outside is brown and crispy before the next step. It adds extra work and I think it stops it absorbing flavor, but to each their own. If you're going to do this, I highly recommend using 3-4 cm chunks instead of 1-2.

Once the pork is done, add in your tofu and black bean paste. Different brands of bean paste have different concentrations, levels of saltiness, etc, so it's best to start off small and add more as necessary. The sort of bean paste you use will also have an impact on the final color. Depending on the brand, I've seen it come out light brown, nearly black, and everything in between. Traditionally it's more of a reddish color, but we're not trying to make the authentic version, which is usually spicy enough to crisp your nose hairs from ten paces. You probably won't see red unless you really suck with a knife.

NOTE: tofu acts kinda like potatoes and mushrooms, in that it can suck up flavor and reduce the overall intensity of the dish. You really want to make sure you taste test as the tofu cooks to make sure the broth turns out right.

So now you're basically done. Add in your veggies, let them get cooked, or if you're using canned like a normal person, let them heat up. Traditionally, mapo tofu is blazingly hot, so if you want to recapture some of its former glory, this is a good time to add in chili paste or, if you're lazy like me, a splash of sriracha. I don't typically make it too hot on account of the kids, but you're fucking this duck, I'm just holding the wings here.

Let simmer until the rice is done. Some people like it to thicken up, and if that's the case, you can add some flour or corn starch to achieve the desired result. Once the rice is done, spoon you some rice in the bowl, and serve the mapo tofu over top. Enjoy.

#17 Gully Foyle, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Adam Jensen and Niamh O'Rourke like this.
  18. Gully Foyle

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Recipe Name: Rusty's Crockpot Chili

Time to Prep: 5-10 minutes
    Time to Cook: 5-10 hours
    Ready in: Can be ready in as few as five hours if you presoak the beans, but you can cook as long as you want and it's not going to care. Just make sure there's enough water to keep it from drying out before you start.

Ingredients:
    1 pound beans (Pinto or Kindey work best)
    1 pound ground beef
    1 Onion, finely chopped
    5 strips of salted pork fatback
    Generous pinch bonito flakes
    1 teaspoon tomato paste
    1 can diced tomatoes & chilis
    Salt/Soy sauce to taste
    Cajun seasoning to taste
    Curry powder to taste
    Garlic pepper to taste
    Chili powder to taste

Directions
    Soak your beans overnight in warm saltwater. The beans will soak up a lot of water, so if you're gonna do this in a crockpot while you're at work, you definitely want them saturated before you put them in the pot. They also soak up a lot of salt, so if you want to be able to taste the dish, it helps to start early. If you want a more complex saltiness, you can use soy sauce instead of salt.

In the morning, throw everything in the crockpot. Try and evenly distribute the fatback throughout the dish. Not only will it add some saltiness, but it really adds a nice richness to the dish. Make sure your ground beef is covered as thoroughly as possible, but not touching the bottom or the sides of the crockpot. When adding your seasoning, remember that the beans have a tendency to soak up buttloads of flavor in addition to the salt, so don't be afraid to use a generous hand.

Once you've got all the ingredients in the pot, cover them with water. OPTIONAL: cover them with beer. Budweiser works pretty well.

Cover and put crockpot on low if you're going to be gone all day, or high if you're starting the chili around lunchtime.

When you get home, stir thoroughly. Sample the broth and the beans first separately, then together, to determine where you're at on the flavor. Adjust your seasoning as necessary. You'll probably need to add more salt or soy sauce, but that's okay. At this stage, it's better to be conservative and add more than risk oversalting the dish.

After adjusting the seasoning, allow to cook for another 5-10 minutes to make sure the seasoning has a chance to permeate the dish. If you got it right, you're done. If not, repeat this step as necessary.

19. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Owner and CEO of Valkyrie Inc.

Character Biography:
    Bio
    [​IMG]

Recipe Name: Red Relax (Some people call it the standard comfort food on Mars)

How easy is it to make: Extremely Easy since it's just a comfort food for every hungry martians

Time to Prep: About 5-10 minutes overall

Time to Cook: Cook? no need to cook this simple dish

Ready in: 4 minutes at best

Ingredients:
    1. Standard martian loaf bread

2. Milk

3. Sugar/ Standard army sugar (since it has more flavor to it) "if you have friends or relatives in the army or navy then ask for a packet of it"

Directions:
    Get your lovely martian bread loaf then slice it to small bits (bite size only please). Then put it on a medium-sized bowl. afterwards pour enough milk to soak the sliced bread, then lastly add 2-3 cups of sugar. after you've done all of those things, mix it slowly but surely.

ENJOY!!!!!!!

#19 Valkyrie, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Solaris likes this.
  20. Niamh O'Rourke

Niamh O'Rourke Protogen Researcher

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Boxty
    What is it? A potato pancake. Reminiscent of a cross between a hash brown and a potato scone. Perfect addition to a breakfast or lunch. Popular home dish, especially up north in Ulster. There's even an old rhyme for it

Boxty on the griddle,
    Boxty in the pan,
    If you can't make boxty,
    You'll never get your man.

[​IMG]

I'm woeful with quantity, I just sort of gauge it while I go along. Feel free to experiment and vary the amounts present.

Ingredients:

2-3 cups of raw potatoes (grated)
    1 cup of flour
    Butter/oil (to grease the pan)
    2-4 teaspoons of salt
    2-4 teaspoons of baking powder
    1/4-1/2 cup of milk

Optional Ingredients:

Eggs
    Vegetables
    Spices
    Sugar

Instructions:

Whisk together the salt, flour, and baking powder. Combine it with the grated potatoes. Add the milk and mix it thoroughly to ensure you've a good batter. If it's not going well together, just add more milk.

Have your pan preheated and put enough butter/oil on it to ensure your boxty isn't going to stick.

Use a spoon to ladle batter onto the pan or skillet in portions. Ensure both sides are cooked until brown (usually about 4-5 minutes).

It's best eaten hot.

Variants:

As said above, I'm woeful with this sort of stuff, I used to cook the barebones to survive when I was a poor student. Some people like to add eggs, vegetables, or spices to the mix. Others serve it up with sugar. #

Mine don't look nearly as appetising as the picture above but just remember that it's the taste that counts!