MARS Shore leave

Discussion in 'Open Roleplay' started by Neamheaglach, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Irkalla Kasai

Irkalla Kasai That’s ‘Commander’ to you.

Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Irys Akane | @Brenda Hernandez | @Erich Hunter

Kasai quirked an amused brow, but said nothing as she led the way to the table in the back. Their little Ceres misadventure was best left unmentioned, impolite company or not. Never knew who was listening, especially in a crowded place like this.

She took another healthy swig of her whiskey. It burned away the thoughts of the past few months, but she still set her glass down harder than she meant to.

Well. Whatever.

‘Evening, Skip’ echoed around the table as they dealt them in.

The officers of Nergal and Strident needed no introduction, but there was one player Kasai didn’t recognize from either crew. Might’ve just been the alcohol, but—

“We’d none of us turn a good Martian away,”
    “More like their dollars,” Belinda snorted beside her.
    “—but ‘least let us know who it is we’ll be picking clean tonight.”

Kasai offered her free hand to the newcomer while she considered her hand. Pity. The numbers were starting to get a bit blurry at the edges.

Irys Akane likes this.
  2. Erich Hunter

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Erich Hunter," He responded as he accepted the hand with a quick shake. Erich offered a smile, though uneasily he realized that perhaps he was swimming with sharks here. "Engineer, worked up in the shipyards for a bit, so probably fixed or upgraded your ship before-and I gotta say the ships I see returned and the condition their in, damn near breaks my heart," Feigning mock injury, Honestly I'm more surprised than worried with some of the ships that get docked for repairs.

His eyes gave everyone a quick glance and a nod of thanks, he submitted his buy in quickly and made sure he placed his limit for how he was going spend tonight. I mean, I'm going to be walking out richer, but still gotta be safe, not because I'm not confident but- Erich batted away those pesky thoughts. While he couldn't read people that exactly well, he knew a few things about probability and chance.

Another quick glance at his hand Erich looked around the others and their bets, "Though my superiors believe me ready to join up with Fleet, so I'll promise you guys this, when I win it all, I'll give any future crew member a chance to win back their money," Erich suggested. He waved his hand to call the current bet.

| @Irys Akane | @Brenda Hernandez | @Irkalla Kasai |

3. Irys Akane

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Erich Hunter @Brenda Hernandez @Irkalla Kasai

Irys raised a precisely shaped eyebrow at the comment. The young engineer's confidence almost made her turn the implants back on. Didn't even need to look at the others. Just connect to the terminal in her clutch bag and start it counting cards for her.

She refrained and checked her cards serrupticiously. A pair of twos. And no twos face up on the table. Irys called without giving much away and turned to watching the others carefully. Just because she had her implants off - and was two drinks in - didn't mean she couldn't glean something useful from small expressions.

"Are you sure you don't want a beer?" Mele asked. She was obviously trying to distract her.

"Why would I? Why would anyone?" Irys replied.

"Had you down as a wine drinker at worst. Can't believe I have a cocktail person on my ops deck."

But Irys kept watching her and Irkalla closely.

Irkalla Kasai likes this.
  4. Harland Drake

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Sandra Torres was already on her third beer when Harland noticed her sitting by herself at the bar. He and Priya made their way over and introductions were made between the two women. His now former coworker from the Tiberius Nero informed him they had just missed Chowdhury, Ahmadi, and a handful of others celebrating the Captain's retirement. Harland was grateful for that.

"You got plans for leave?" Harland asked.

"Probably go free-climbing. Maybe catch a couple games." She said, indicating a wall screen above the bar with an inclination of her head. The feed was showing a football match between the First Landing Rocketeers and the Kalpana Prospectors. The Rocketeers were up 3-2 with 12 minutes left. "Anything that involves solid ground and natural gravity really."

"What team do you root for?" Priya asked, an avid soccer fan herself. She started kicking around balls when she was just three years old.

"The Gauchos. They're having a rough start this year, but they'll bounce back" The Los Brisbanos de Bled team had lost one of their best strikers during the second game of the season and were now essentially a one-man-show on offense. "You?"

"Tigers. Gotta support my home team even if they do suck." Priya smiled, actually seeming to enjoy herself. Harland was glad. He knew she wasn't entirely comfortable in a military bar, having never served herself. But as long as the topic wasn't military-related she'd do just fine.

"What about you, Harland? I bet you're a Bureaucrats fan aren't you?" The unsubtle name of the of the Londres Nova team also doubling as a quip about his family's political history.

"Guilty" he said with a grin. "We play our cards right we'll get to the playoffs this year. It'll be good for the younger players to get that experience."

The banter back and forth about each person's favorite team lasted a couple more minutes, by which time they had all finished their drinks. Sandra ordered another beer and another round of whatever Harland and, by extension, Priya wanted to settle the bet she lost to Harland on their survey of the Phoebe debris field.

"Well, I think we're going to go upstairs and dance for a bit. Feel free to grab someone and join us." Sandra nodded. As Harland and Priya made their way to the stairs he caught sight of some of the crews from the Nergal and Strident over in the corner playing cards. Best not disturb them. If they're still around on the way out maybe I'll drop by.

#24 Harland Drake, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Irkalla Kasai and Tetrarch like this.
  5. Karen Ashoka

Karen Ashoka Pilot for the MCR

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Karen had finished her drink a short while ago and had spent the last few minutes dancing to the music, an old remix almost over a century old by a pair of musicians known as 'The Presets' was playing, not that she knew who they were, only that their name kept flashing on the oversized displays that surrounded the DJ booth. The DJ himself was a beefy man with tiny black spectacles, his headphones looking comically small on his dome of a head that seemed to join his torso with no sign of a neck in between. He was an interesting sight, but he knew what he was doing, and that's all that mattered.

Still, Karen grew thirsty once again and exited the dancefloor in the direction of the bar which wrapped around half of the inner circle of the venue. This time she ordered a cocktail off the menu, an espresso martini. She had not had proper coffee in a while and the thought of being able to taste the beans that grew in the red martian soil made her mouth water. While she waited for the cocktail, her attention was drawn to one of the many displays behind the bar, a news program was on with subtitles working their way across the screen in lieu of audio.
    A image of Karen appeared on the screen, in her dress uniform, smiling. Karen scowled and turned her head down and away hoping no one was watching at the same time.
    The screen then changed to a logo of the news show before moving on to other programming

Karen rolled her eyes. She should be meeting that delegation, or at least on that expedition back North to oversee the city's integration into the Republic, not sitting here sipping drinks waiting to be shot into space. But she was stuck here and was under orders to enjoy herself. Turning back to the bar she was greeted by a high, wide glass full of delicious espresso martini. She took a sip and looked around to see if she recognised anyone.

#25 Karen Ashoka, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Tetrarch likes this.
  6. FlightAlpha37

FlightAlpha37 Mastermind behind crew of Calico Felicette

After a long way to go and long story since all the mess at Eros and Thoth station. Calico crew finally landed back on the red planet again. The ship is currently docked at Callisto but Jupiter fleet ship them home for a short break. Wash away temporary ink on their body and donned a uniform jumpsuit with "Folkvangr" name printed on it. It's been a while since they left and their mission is donkeyball so not many people know them anyway

the group sitting in a corner, eat and drink. Waiting for anyone who want to talk to them.

#26 FlightAlpha37, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Irkalla Kasai and Tetrarch like this.
  7. Zay Boussaa

Character Biography:
    Bio
    The place is very lively. It would appear that all of Eros' returning teams have gathered here.

Excellent, that might make my job easier. Thinks Zay

The bouncer let him in, he was a client once. And technically he's a veteran.

In the distance he sees the team he is looking for. If his intel is good. The latter have some rather interesting information about Protogen.

So, smile friendly and kind. He's got years of experience on this. Everyone falls into the trap.

''Can I offer you a drink?''

@FlightAlpha37

8. FlightAlpha37

FlightAlpha37 Mastermind behind crew of Calico Felicette

"Sure, sir." Vera reply and told her crew to move so Zay can have a space to sit.

None of them ever seen this man, but seem like he is senior and experienced.

"Thank you" The engineer said, "I'm Kajiyashiki Itsuki"

@Zay Boussaa

9. Zay Boussaa

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Zay sits down with them and with a gesture of his hand passes his terminal over the table screen. This last beep and displays a pop-up: Unlimited Drink.

All beverage purchases are credited directly to his account now.

"We never really had a chance to meet, I'm Zay Boussaa. The chief of the Prime Minister office....and also congressman. Nice to meet you!"

Zay extends his hand to shake Kajiyashiki Itsuki's hand.

@FlightAlpha37

10. Brenda Hernandez

Brenda Hernandez Kasai's Hammer

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Brenda didn't recognize anyone at the table save his compatriot with the startlingly white hair, and, as was his habit, he was going to get absolutely roasted before actually getting into the game. He stood nearby, drink in hand, eyeing up the table and the hands without being close enough to be inclined to be labeled an associate to crime.

Whiskey chased away his doubts, burned away his memories, and left a pleasantly warm feeling in his stomach. Gambling was what he did to pass the time when he wasn't going home with anyone, and he wasn't dumb enough to drink anymore.

He hadn't reached the point of being full fledged pants-on-head, yet, and so the metaphorical coin was staying in his pocket. "Oi, Skip." He says, speaking to @Irkalla Kasai. "Don't fuck it up."

11. Irkalla Kasai

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Fourth? Fifth?

Kasai had stopped counting her drinks, and perhaps it was better that way. She was busy enough counting the cards in her hand, and on the table, and the dollars passing between them. Back and forth, then back and forth again.

If she were smarter – or less drunk, at least – Irkalla might’ve tacked some profound thought onto the end of that observation.

Fortunately, she was well on her way to being… what’s it called again? Pants-on-head?

Her green eyes flicked over to Erich and his cocky grin. “I reckon my ship’s older than your hide, kid. Besides—” she drowned the rest of her glass, “in the Fleet, gambling’s against the rules.”

Kasai grinned and flipped Brenda off over her shoulder. “Ain’t that right, Hernandez? We fuck things up, kid.” She called and swept a few virtual chips into the middle. “And sometimes, we bet on it.”

@Erich Hunter | @Irys Akane | @Brenda Hernandez

#31 Irkalla Kasai, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  12. Erich Hunter

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Erich guessed he was about the youngest of the bunch here, with the comment of their ship being older than him it certainly narrowed the field of ships these folks served on. They seem nice enough, of course it might be all the drink. "All the same, I don't like keeping grudges, so I'll work in some charity work with everyone" Erich quipped in, his eyes darting from one card to the next.

Drunk Sharks, but sharks all the same.
    Erich noted mentally as he kept his cards faced down, an Ace and a Ten, unfortunately the first set of cards on the table gave him no sure bet. Though the possibility of a flush did present itself with the Queen, and old thought about winning came up. I don't have to walk away with all their money, winning means all sorts of things. He was here to have fun after all.

"What ship do you lot serve on?" Erich asked, calling the next bet as he eyed the card shown on the table. He glanced over to where the white haired woman had gestured to 'Hernandez' and well, impressed was an understatement. "Judging from what I've just heard, it sounds like you all are some of the toughest Martians in the solar system."

| @Irys Akane | @Brenda Hernandez | @Irkalla Kasai |

13. Irys Akane

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    Last card went on the table. Two of hearts. Irys now had three of a kind. It was a reasonably strong hand and she was still sober enough to play with a purpose. First chance she got, she raised the stakes and leaned back in her chair with an air of silent confidence.

The marines had started their machismo routine in the face of a junior member of the forces. Another few drinks and they would probably rip off their shirts and start a headbutting contest. This was why she needed to go somewhere else tomorrow night.

"Who won the bet on the Nergal getting fucked up by belters?" she asked sweetly with a glance towards Irkalla. A slightly delayed part of her mind that appraised danger suggested that one of three things was going to happen. The intended effect was to put her off kilter, but there was a larger chance she would knuckle down and play to win. There was a small chance Irys was about to get punched. Marines weren't known for being well behaved on a night out, which was why the military police tended to patrol these areas looking for kids with buzz cuts causing trouble.

OOC/ if I've been inconsistent with what's on the table, oh well! @Erich Hunter @Irkalla Kasai @Brenda Hernandez

#33 Irys Akane, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  14. Hector Royce

Hector Royce MCR Marine, MCRN Bexar

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Royce walked into the Gimmick after a long afternoon of partying with his family and friends for a quiet drink alone. Ashley, his girlfriend and crewmate are aboard the Caladbolg, was called back to the boat to deal with an inventory discrepancy in the infirmary, so he decided to enjoy the rest of the night alone. He realized about 20 feet out of his apartment that that wasn’t going to happen.

As more and more word came out about Eros and what happened to him and his team, his face and name was in the news a lot. The sole survivor of a mission to a doomed station, his face beamed on every screen on mars. It was impossible for the MMC to keep him a secret, no matter how tight lipped they were able to keep about whatever it was that took over the stationed and killed his team. The story became they died in a rehearsal run, for preparation to enter the station.

Royce was dreading the celebrity; Martians being what they were, they treated war heroes like rock stars. However what he got wasn’t celebrity or fame or adulation, but pity and false sympathy, which was worse. So he wore a baseball cap low over his eyes when he walked into the bar. Seeing a card game going in the back with a few officers he recognized, he considered joining the game, but decided against it. They were pretty far along in the game, and drinking alone implied not joining poker games.

He sat, and waved down the bartender and ordered a beer. The bartender, turning to watch the tv behind him, noticed Royce’s face on the muted screen, then turned to look back at him. Royce quickly looked down and pulled his cap over his eves after getting a view of the tv for himself. The bartender smiled grimly, then brought him another beer. “I won’t tell anyone who you are, kid. You drink on the house tonight though.”

Royce nodded his thanks. “In that case, how about a little whiskey? Something to sip on?” The bartender grinned and produced a bottle of Macallan, imported directly from Earth. He produced two glasses and poured himself and Royce a healthy amount. The toasted and drank, savoring the high end whiskey.

“Holy shit that’s fuckin good,” Royce said after a moment. He spent his next three glasses of the fine whiskey watching the card game and taking to the bartender.

15. Harland Drake

Character Biography:
    Bio
    The thrum of the music on the third floor was a physical manifestation Harland could feel in his chest. From atop his platform against the back wall the DJ looked like an apparition as his silhouette was accentuated by the upward-pointed multicolored lights all around him. Similar lights beamed down from the ceiling fixtures and at various points around of the room. The only exception being the one corner of the room that held the floor's lone bar, small though it may have been. Small tables with chairs and benches lined the walls for the tired, the drunk, those who didn't know how to dance, and those looking for a partner.

The dance floor was a decent size and was packed to the gills with people who had surely just touched back down on Mars. What better way to blow off the steam of a deployment then to get drunk, grind up against a random person, and not remember a thing when you woke up next to them the next morning?

"Work hard, play hard". Indeed, that was the unofficial motto of the Martian military forces.

Harland and Priya waited for the current song to be over before trying to make their way onto the floor. The oppressing heat of packed bodies quickly made it's presence known and the couple exited the floor after three songs. Inaj Khan, DJ Supernova, Kaylee Rice, in that order.

Priya's reserved demeanor began to crack halfway through the first song as the effects of alcohol loosened her up. It was good for her to let her hair down every once in a while. She worked just as hard as any Martian and, combined with her very strict and high standards family, was in just as much need of blowing off steam as anyone else in the room.

"OK, I'll admit, I'm having fun. I take back my previous concerns about this place." Priya said.

"You had concerns? I couldn't tell." Harland said with a shit-eating grin. Priya playfully punched his shoulder.

"Ha ha."

#35 Harland Drake, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  16. Aden Peterson

Character Biography:
    Bio
    [Mars]

Aden sighed as the engines of his little skiff spooled down. He'd been working all day, ferrying munitions to and from ships that had just gotten into port. The attitudes all across the returning ships were a mix of emotions, but Aden didn't stick his nose in where it didn't belong. He simply got his cargo from the munitions depots to the ships. The day had been very mechanical, very repetitive, and very annoying. He'd had the same routine, and it seemed like half the MCRN was getting action... except him. He'd been alone in his ship, getting buddy-buddy with high explosives. Unfortunately, as Lower Enlisted, he didn't exactly get his pick of assignments, and right now was just doing supply runs from the planet to the surface. If he was lucky, he might reach one of the moons.

After he finished the post-flight checklist, Aden quickly checked back in the ship, went over the inspection, and left. He returned to his residence only briefly before leaving again, dropping everything he'd taken to and from work before leaving again. He wasn't in the mood to just sit in his room, and his remaining tinkering projects just didn't appeal to him at the moment, so he decided he'd at least go unwind and go bar-hopping. Who knew, maybe he'd be able to pick up on some chatter about what was going on across the solar system, some of the details that weren't gotten over the 'official' channels.

As he left his assigned block, he realized he'd forgotten to change out of his working uniform, but he didn't care much. It was still clean, thankfully, and once he undid the top of it a little bit, he figured it'd be appropriate enough for... whatever bar he ended up going to. Plus, the way he carried himself, when added to his age, meant that anyone would guess he was Fleet, uniform or not. He ensured his terminal was in his pocket, as he wandered through the corridors until he found an appropriate place.

[Mars - Gimmick]

As Aden entered, he scoped out the people around. A few people oozed Fleet, a few people gave off more civilian roles, and a few were a nebulous type he couldn't nail down. Regardless, he didn't see anyone he knew, and so wandered off to the bar proper, ordering a drink as he sat slouched over, an odd mix of listening to everything around him while trying not to stand out too much. Then again, he realized, the uniform already gave away a bit. Only time would tell if anyone would approach him.

17. Irkalla Kasai

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Kasai met that sweet gaze with pursed lips and arched brows. Alcohol always slackened the reins of her self-control.

Among other things.

“Nonsense,” she addressed Erich, but kept her keen green eyes on Akane still. “Missions ain’t mech-wrestling, kid. Leave the contests in the ring, or leave your tags on the table. Playing hero out there…” she shook her head as she glanced at the news feeds. “Best case, you only get yourself killed.”

With a defeated sigh, Kasai folded and pushed upright. “I’m getting another drink. Anyone else?”

Somehow still holding her balance, the Commander waved and pushed through the undulating crowd back to the bar. More people were beginning to trickle in as the night wore on. The lights had grown dimmer, the chatter louder, the drinks stronger. The music from upstairs was thumping even harder, thrumming in her ribs, in the back of her throat.

Maybe they could carve out a spot on the dance floor later. If they could still stand, anyway.

When a swaying gaggle of jarheads shoved off the counter, Kasai quickly stepped forward to fill the void. She caught the barman's attention with a grin and a flick against her empty glass. He rolled his eyes in mild disapproval as he swung over for a refill.

“Am I gonna have to carry you out again?”
    “Even if get that drunk – and I won’t – you won’t have to.”
    His gaze flickered in the direction of her thumb. “Oh fuck me, he’s here too?” He groaned. “Just this once, could you refrain from starting any brawls?”
    “We finish brawls, Llywelyn.”

He let out a long-suffering sigh and tipped the bottle over her tumbler. A few amber droplets splashed against the bottom. “And… I’m out of whiskey. Of course I’m out of whiskey. Gimme two.”

Kasai just shrugged as he disappeared, then downed what little had made it into her glass. No use wasting good alcohol.

@Irys Akane | @Erich Hunter | @Brenda Hernandez | @Aden Peterson

Irys Akane likes this.
  18. Aden Peterson

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Aden hadn't really been paying attention to the game behind, having seen it already in full swing when he had arrived. That... and last time he'd mixed spirits and cards, he'd ended up significantly poorer and worse for wear. Thankfully for him, however, he'd only made that mistake once. But what he couldn't ignore was a woman who was already several drinks in on her evening.

He'd been subtly listening in on the group of Marines also at the bar, who had been proving the theorem that alcohol and secrets didn't mix. A few of them, it seemed, had been out near the action, but the conversation had quickly turned away from the past and onto anything else that could be thought of. Of course, it wasn't long before they'd moved off and this new figure had taken their place.

He moved his chair down a few centimeters, to give her a little more room in case she didn't quite control her arms while by him. He didn't make it obvious, however. No reason to make this person, whoever she was, get the impression he was uncomfortable. However, he did eye the Barkeep and this new arrival to see what he might be able to pick up.

What he picked up was telling, if confusingly so. She seemed to be known, and a troublemaker at that. Someone who had a particular proclivity for starting, or, as she put it, ending, bar brawls.

As the barkeep wandered off, he noted her quickly downing her drink to get that little bit more out of the purchase. He smiled, shook his head, and chuckled softly, finishing his own drink before speaking. "He must be going through a lot tonight. Guess he shoulda planned ahead, what with all the ships back in.

He didn't know to whom he was speaking, that she was a Commander, that she commanded her own ship, or that he'd taken his resupply shuttle within eyesight of her ship earlier. She was out of uniform, off duty, and it appeared like she didn't want to be noticed. So he spoke to her on an even keel, very different than he would otherwise.

19. Irkalla Kasai

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Her gaze slid off the colorful glitter of bottles on the back wall to the man on her right. Uniformed, young, stone-cold sober… relatively. And the relative for the Gimmick right now was pretty damn high.

Eros sure fucked up a lot of shit, but deployment duration? Can’t say I mind.” She greeted the returning bartender with a lopsided grin. “Llywelyn here just wasn’t counting on all of us coming back at the same time. Ruined his perfect little schedule. Distributors must’ve made mad bucks upping your stocks last minute, didn’t they?”

He shot her a dirty look. “Keep laughing and I’ll cut you off.”
    “I thought you didn’t want brawls?”
    “And keeping you sober’s a great way to avoid ‘em.”
    She pushed her tumbler closer to the bartender. “I can’t fight if I’m drunk, can I?”
    “Yeah, I’ve heard that one before. Why the hell haven’t I banned you yet, Kasai?”
    “Because then who would stop Hernandez?”
    Llywelyn grumbled and topped off her glass. “You’re a fucking menace.”
    “Hey now. I helped save your dusty ass.” She waved at the news with an arched brow. “If I was a real menace, I’d demand drinks on the house.”

@Aden Peterson

20. Aden Peterson

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Aden whistled low as he got more information, finally in the vein he'd been hunting for. "Eros, huh? You were there?" He asked, leaning back from the bar and turning a bit to give the unidentified woman a bit more of his direct attention. He figured with the average sobriety levels, it'd be easier for him to move versus half the bar.

"So you're not just coming back from a long deployment, you're coming back from that shitshow. Guess that's an exciting trip," he said, shrugging offhandedly. "Part of me wishes I was off with you all right in the thick of things... but someone's gotta hold down Mars while Y'all are off traipsing the system."

He covered a laugh with a cough as the woman next to him poked fun at the bartender. It probably earned him a deserving glare, but at this point in the evening, he still had scrip to spend and mental faculties to cut himself off, so the drinks would keep coming. He ordered and gathered another, taking a sip as he continued to listen.

He couldn't help another snort from escaping him as the joking conversation continued. It seemed the person he was talking with had some sway around the place, or at least enough to toe the line. Though Aden had to admit, he was curious what put this person up so high in the grand scheme of the bar.