CERES Between an asteroid and the hard space

Discussion in 'Private Roleplay' started by Lukas Forgrave, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Lukas Forgrave

Lukas Forgrave Scourge of the Water Pipes

Character Biography:
    Bio
    He offered her a confident smile as he leaned against the railing, tonguing the inside of his cheek. He had to wonder what the effect of extracurricular activities would be on a recent gunshot wound. It was best to contemplate that sort of thing when not intoxicated, though he assumed the night would progress innocently enough.

"So...Lasagna?" He eyed the bag of tomatoes in her hand before returning a similarly measured glance of assessment.

Levi Jones likes this.
  2. Levi Jones

Levi Jones Wikibreaker

Character Biography:
    Bio
    So it was going to be one of those kinds of evenings, eh?

Gameboard set; black and white both had Pawns on the field. Levi gave the man a considering glance before pushing herself off the railing, "Lasagna," she echoed, pulling open the door to step inside.

"Mamen, ha portato pomodori da Ganimede..." Italian slithered in through the aroma of dinner in the oven. Levi held up the bag as she stepped into the kitchen area.

"Pomodori da Ganimede?" Mamen gasped, eyeing the bag before turning to Luka as he stepped in, "ci vizierai," Mamen smiled appreciatively then offered in French: "tu nous gâtes."

3. Lukas Forgrave

Character Biography:
    Bio
    The fact that Mamen audibly gasped over pomodori was perhaps one of her more endearing qualities. And thanks to this little event, Luka now knew how to say tomatoes in Italians. He figure baby steps counted as steps all the same.

He strode in, appreciative of the French inclusion, as he gave a wandering glance over what was going on in the kitchen. "You both deserve to be spoiled..." He didn't gesture with his hands, but he waved dismissively all the same. "I know a guy. He owed me a few favors." Favors regarding the prevention of jail time but that wasn't the sort of table discourse he was looking to invite.

"So I hear we're having lasagna tonight?" He played coy with Mamen, though he was apologetic for the state she had last seen him in. That wasn't the sort of thing he wanted to bring to her front door.

Levi Jones likes this.
  4. Levi Jones

Levi Jones Wikibreaker

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Ohh," Mamen flustered, moving to greet Luka properly with a watery-eyed hug and a hand on his face as she stood back to look at him, true Italian style, "you sweet boy. Of course we are."

"Posso..." Levi said from the kitchen counter, looking around for a clean knife, "posso usarli per l'insalata."

"Mm, è buono," Mamen smiled warmly, giving Luka a concerned look-over, "how are you feeling Lukas?"

5. Lukas Forgrave

Character Biography:
    Bio
    He couldn't recall the last time he had had lasagna. Heavy Italian dishes, bastardized as they might be, were a staple back on the farm. Good source of protein and carbs, good for helping keep things running. Not that they actually had a farm but his mother, in planning for a son that wouldn't make the academy, always hoped that maybe he would go into crop building.

She loved plants and she hoped he would too. And he did, though cherry blossoms and mahogany had become of his favorite of late.

"Well." He replied almost immediately, though he had difficulty contemplating the question. He didn't feel pain but he felt the pressure of the bandage, he remembered the taste of the slurry when he drank it, and he recalled the way the flower felt as he pressed it against the bloody wrap. "I couldn't be better..."

Insalata...he mentally churned over that, wondering what it meant. All in due time.

Levi Jones likes this.
  6. Levi Jones

Levi Jones Wikibreaker

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Insalata, he would learn, meant salad, and what a delicious salad it was. Fresh garden greens from Queenie mixed with ripe tomatoes made for quite the delicacy on Ceres.

"This is a special meal for the Jones family," Mamen said as she served Luka a healthy portion of lasagna, "because it was a family meal. When my husband was alive he was so busy - always something with Helix, I'm sure you know," enthusiasm silted by persistant wheezing and intermixed with coughing, moments to catch her breath, but Mamen wouldn't have help. No, she waved off Levi when her daughter tried to take over, fussing with her in Italian, "but this night was always family meal night. No matter what."

"While we were still a family..." Levi interjected as she brought out an extra chair from the desk in her mother's room to join them.

Mamen scoffed, "We were always a family. Even after Levi left, even when she refused to see her father. I still made family dinner on this night every week, just in case she showed up. We Jones are strong, stubborn folk," Mamen said proudly, "we don't let adversity interrupt our way of life."

Levi sniffed and set a glass of water in front of Luka, "She still polishes dad's dress shoes once a month."

"You'll never see a nicer set of dress shoes on the Belt," Mamen replied astutely.

"You'll never see them, period."

Mamen leaned over in her seat somewhat, looking towards Luka, "What size shoe do you wear, Lukas?"

Lukas Forgrave likes this.
  7. Lukas Forgrave

Character Biography:
    Bio
    He had taken to long sips of water, once provided, as the two went back and forth on what did and did not constitute a family dinner. Then he gulped hard as the question about his shoe size was asked, recalling the watch that rested in his pocket. He wasn't sure how he felt about receiving all of Levi's Father's possessions.

Besides, he wasn't convinced he'd look all that good in dress shoes.

"Shoe size?" He crossed his leg over his knee as he sat at the table, looking to see if he might find the size somewhere on bottom. Nope. "I actually don't remember. It's been a while since I bought a new pair."

Never seeing those shoes, it sounded almost like a challenge. But he wasn't sure, what with his recent injury, he was willing to push it and get between Mamen and Levi. Instead, he put his foot down and rested an elbow on the table. "Like a 13 or something...huh..." He looked down. "Really sturdy table. Way sturdier than the-" He caught himself as he looked over to Levi . "Maybe a 14." He cut into his lasagna with a chuckle and a shake of his head.

"So every month? Got any recommendations on technique? I try to keep my shoes in as good of shape as possible."

Levi Jones likes this.
  8. Levi Jones

Levi Jones Wikibreaker

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "13? My goodness is that so..." Mamen's brows rose a bit higher than Luka had likely ever seen, "well then."

"Mamen-" Levi scowled.

"Oh I'm playing, those shoes will get burned with my body. I've devoted too many years to keeping them nice just to let them go."

"Mamen," a little bit more stern this time.

"Really sturdy table. Way sturdier than the-"

Levi's eyes went wide and she rounded a cutting stare at him, glass of water hitting the table with force.

"Maybe a 14."

"You don't say," Mamen was intrigued.

Levi fiercly cut into her lasagna.

Good save, Luka. Good save.

"Well I suppose it depends on if the shoes are natural leather or not," Mamen took a bite of tomato and delighted at the taste, "you can't do anything with this fake leather and the mushroom leather doesn't take a shine. Not like cowhide does." The old woman smirked and patted a hand on the table, "It is quite sturdy isn't it? What a lucky find for us. We've had it since we got this apartment. Unfortunately we had to sell off a good deal of our original furniture from out old home, but that kitchen table from before ... "

"It was shit," Levi said over a bite of her meal, "the one leg kept falling off but you guys wouldn't get rid of it. I was happy to see it go."

"Well the old addage goes that the strongest ties are made in the kitchen..." Mamen's smirk persisted.

9. Lukas Forgrave

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Mhm..." He nodded as he took another piece of the lasagna. "Outgrew the old man in just about every way by 15. Mama thought it had something to do with the water. Which was funny considering that it was all shipped in."

He nodded and listened quietly as Mamen went on about the shoe care, looking over towards Levi with a smile. Until the conversation went back to the table. And he got a bit of a sly in his grin, looking down at the lasagna.

"Yeah, most furniture wasn't safe around me when I was younger. Just..." He shrugged. "Roll off the couch, break the coffee table. Get an earful, rinse and repeat. But this table..." He nodded with obvious agreement.

"A lot to be said about kitchens and strong ties and...strong furniture..." He pointed to the lasagna with his fork. "Really good lasagna, Mamen."

Levi Jones likes this.
  10. Levi Jones

Levi Jones Wikibreaker

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "My husband and I called our old table the baby-maker."

Levi nearly choked on her food.

Mamen was smiling wistfully to herself, looking particularly nostalgic and happy, "There was a reason that one leg kept falling off, but I couldn't bring myself to part with it because it's where Adi-"

"Ok that's enough about kitchen tables."

"What about coffee tables?" Mamen tipped her fork over towards the front of the apartment where their coffee table used to be, "what happened to that one?"

"I told you," Levi mashed her fork into the lasagna with force, "I tripped and fell on it."

"Mm," Mamen shook her head, "coffee tables are where shins and hearts get broken."

"We're done talking about tables," Levi shot a stabbing glance at Luka for good measure.

At the end of dinner Mamen excused herself to her bedroom to take her medication and rest. Levi pulled boots and a knit duster coat on to follow Luka out the door. She immediately sparked up a cigarette, eyeing the man accusingly through the smoke.

11. Lukas Forgrave

Character Biography:
    Bio
    He didn't so much as choke on his lasagna as he swallowed hard on the pasta. The baby maker comment definitely caught him off guard. And her continuing to go on, presumably about how Levi was conceived, only convinced Luka that he was way out of his league in this particular game of chicken.

Sure, he could have nodded and they could have gone back and forth, but with the way Levi was grounding her lasagna into dust and shooting eye daggers at him, he was content to admit a loss. Best to just enjoy his lasagna, laugh when Mamen laughed, and hinge on the cues of a certain embarrassed and/or angry belta.

Throwing on his coat, making sure to take care for the wound on his abdomen, he moved out the door and leaned heavily on the railing. He was being accused of something with the silence but he wasn't sure what it was. At least, the playfully coy side of him wasn't.

"Nice night..." He nodded, looking back towards the door. "Nice dinner."

Levi Jones likes this.
  12. Levi Jones

Levi Jones Wikibreaker

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Earthy gaze narrowed further, lips forming a pursed, thin line of consideration. Levi blew the smoke out her nostrils, a veritable fuming belta.

"Enjoy that did you?" she eyed him, coming to recognize the faint lines of mischief on his face now. It had taken some time, but she'd seen them enough now to notice. Try though she might, it was difficult to stay annoyed. The smile she felt forming on her own face wasn't one of humor or forgiveness, but something she wore over other feelings. One that didn't quite reach the eyes.

The smile other people learned to avoid at all costs.

"Let's leave our private affairs out of dinner conversation, hm?"

She ashed the cigarette and turned, feet carrying her down the steps and two the walkway below, "C'mon, I'll walk you home."

13. Lukas Forgrave

Character Biography:
    Bio
    He almost responded that yeah, he did enjoy the dinner. The cheese was obviously not real but the way the pasta was cooked, on top of using real tomatoes, it was really enjoyable.

But he answered with silence and a smirk instead, turning his head in the direction of where they were walking.

Private affairs. He wasn't sure if that made the relationship seem more legitimate or less so. But it seemed like a formal way of putting things when her mother was just moments passed throwing around baby-making.

"It's a long way between here and Brentwood..." He responded as they moved down the stairs to the walkway. Even more so if they stopped anywhere along the way.

14. Levi Jones

Levi Jones Wikibreaker

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "I know," Levi tossed the half-smoked butt to the ground and ground it out with her boot, "I like taking long walks when I'm mad."

Hands folding into her pockets, a wane smirk fell back to meet the man as his long stride caught up to her. Truth be told, she just wanted some time alone with him where underhanded comments and snide responses didn't have to be filtered for the sake of her mother. Mamen enjoyed Luka's company and Levi was convinced that her health had begun to strengthen since they met. It couldn't all be just from the cleaner air in Brentwood...

"How's the new button-holes healing up?"

15. Lukas Forgrave

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Mad, huh? He didn't say it but he returned a quite expression, arched brow, that might have expressed it all the same. If he were thinking about the situation, he might have realized that her having to bite her tongue was the cause of that emotion - though he assumed it wasn't really anger as much as pent up sass.

It seemed Mamen was off limits when it came to banter, at least for Levi. It was an enjoyable way of sorting that line out, even if it was at Levi's expense.

"This thing..." He lifted his jacket, patting the shirt right where the bandage would be before dropping the jacket flap. "Good as new." He chuckled, knowing full well that she knew of his actual ignorance on the matter. Pain was of value, showed a person the level of healing and if things were going well. And he was flying blind in that regard.

He still couldn't grasp all the details of what had happened. And it bothered him, not knowing who had pulled the trigger.

16. Levi Jones

Levi Jones Wikibreaker

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Yeah?" a thin brow quirked, pulling the corner of her lip up with it.

Strange how easy it was to forget the man couldn't feel pain despite it being one of his defining characteristics. The thought crept back only in moments of where pain should have been. Anyone else, Levi was sure, likely would have been in some pain with a wound like that. She'd been shot before, though not a through-and-through. Was that worse?

"Want me to take a look when we get there?"

17. Lukas Forgrave

Character Biography:
    Bio
    He smirked, as reassuringly as he could. Truth was, he wasn't sure how it was. Never could really tell with wounds, which made the condition more of a curse than anything else. On the off chance that he felt the bit of itch, he either knew an infection was on-setting or the wound was healing.

So he had that going for him.

"Hmm..." Toiling over himself in the mirror was a route to an unfortunate night of poking and prodding and being stuck in his own head. "That would be nice..." He stuck his hands in his pockets as they came to a crossroad. The walkway forked between leading towards the train station and leading towards the pedestrian route, for those on helix carts or on foot.

Everything on Ceres was in walking distance, so long as people had the time for it.

Levi Jones likes this.
  18. Levi Jones

Levi Jones Wikibreaker

Character Biography:
    Bio
    She opted for the pedestrian route. It was cheaper and it afford her more time to walk, time to think. Silence filled the air between them but, strangely enough, didn't seem to separate. Having never been one for much conversation, Levi found the quietude between people who knew one another to be a sign of understanding more than anything else. Took time to develop that and it was curiously comforting to think that maybe she was starting to know the man well enough for that.

"Mm," brown eyes peered at the exit wound on his backside under the light of the hated kitchen table lamp. Levi sat in the chair while the man stood shirtless in front of her. Gauze and wound cleaner in hand, firmly but carefully clearing away the previous application of wound cream. Couldn't heal something like this up too fast, had to heal from the inside out, elsewise any infection wouldn't have anywhere to go. But, she though as she inspected it, "yeah, that's definitely a bullet hole."

A smirk appeared on her lips for a brief moment as she leaned in to apply a new coating of spray, "Looks good. Clean. No infection."

19. Lukas Forgrave

Character Biography:
    Bio
    He chuckled as he looked up towards the kitchen lamp. "Good. I was worried it was something serious." Not much he could think of that would be worse than a shot to the abdomen. Unless it hit an organ, so he had that going for him.

Livers are important.

Looking down, he dragged his fingers over the entry wound and the ink of the digital Ceres map. He imagined it would be disfigured with this scar, just as his other tattoos inevitably would.

Ticking his tongue, he sighed and shook his head. "They fucked up the interloop between Camden Station and Midtown Central." His skin shivered in response to the spray. Could take a gun shot no problem, but heaven forbid he be discomforted by cold medicinal spray.

Levi Jones likes this.
  20. Levi Jones

Levi Jones Wikibreaker

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "What...?"

Didn't quite catch on to what he meant. Had the shooting caused an accident? Didn't seem right, couldn't recall anything in the terminal feeds - and she'd been watching like a hawk after getting him to the hospital. She smeared a healthy measure of wound cream on before applying a new bandage. Forefinger hooked in his belt loop, Levi tugged him around to take a look at the other side and blinked.

"Oh."

That interloop.

"Well that's a fucking shame. Guess I was lucky the Docs sewed me back together so well, not much misaligned from what I can tell."

She glanced up at him before setting about cleaning this side, too. He was perfectly capable of doing it himself, but she was already there.

"Might be alright ... if you don't reopen the wound doing something stupid."